Putting some Danger and risk into AE

Have a badass idea for the MUD? Post it here!

Moderator: Staff

Warlord
Discord: Warlord

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 am

Hello again everyone. Today I want to talk about putting some danger into our wonderful world and by extension giving people a reason to seek the help of medical professionals (Biodyne) and law enforcement (Ascendancy).

+ I propose the creation of hostile non-lethal npcs (Gangers, muggers, anarchists, thugs) in the westside who attack everyone irrespective of class (separate from dreg mobiles) with the aim of mugging them. This doesn't mean they are meant to replace PC criminals. Just to stand in for them when they aren't around and complement them when they are. When the lawfulness metric goes down, these guys spill over to the corporate sector as well. Thus, people get injured (whether it be PCs or the bodyguards that defend them) and will have to seek medical help thus actually giving medical characters something to do.
As for Ascendancy, they can actively work to prevent lawfulness from going low by means of plots etc just to prevent thugs form overrunning the corporate part of the map.

+ Diseases: Diseases must be made more rampant. They don't have to be fatal. Just a nuisance that forces affected PCs to actually seek medical help instead of simply ignoring them. Perhaps the diseases can affect their stats or otherwise cause inconvenience unless treated?

Beatrix

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:20 pm

Given that it has been well over a month since I got to use the treat command, and while I know I've not been overly active during peak the last week, I get the feeling it wouldn't have made much difference.. so yeah, we definitely need more danger added to the world.

My suggestions would be to:

1) Have diseases give a penalty to stats. For most of them, a -10 penalty to body to reflect their impacted health would work well. Others could also suit a penalty to intuition or logic. The following is a suggestion only for what would seemed to make sense for each of the illnesses at the 3 stages. Keep in mind I have yet to see any cases of Giardia, Hyperthyroidism, Meningitis, Hep A, Carbon Plague or Hypoxia. So far just Body Lice, Cold, Flu and Gonorrhea.

Code: Select all

Disease          Stage 1         Stage 2         Stage 3

Body Lice        -1 App          -2 App          -3 App
                 -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (general unwellness)
Common Cold      -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (general unwellness)
                 -5 Int          -10 Int         -15 Int (light headedness, difficulty focusing)
Stomach Flu      -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (weightloss, general unwellness)
                 -5 Str          -10 Str         -15 Str (weakness/fatigue)
Giardia          -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (weightloss, general unwellness)
Gonorrhea        -1 App          -2 App          -3 App  (hairloss + ulcers)
                                 -5 Int          -10 Int (headaches at later stages)
Hyperthyroidism  -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (weightloss, general unwellness)
                 -5 Agi          -10 Agi         -15 Agi (tremors) 
Meningitis       -10 Body        -15 Body        -20 Body (joint pain, unwell)
                 -5 Logic        -10 Logic       -15 Logic (confusion)
Hepatitis A      -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (weightloss, general unwellness)
Carbon Plague    -10 Body        -15 Body        -20 Body (??)
Hypoxia          -5 Body         -10 Body        -15 Body (weightloss, general unwellness)
2) Implement a chance of low minor treatable injuries when sparring, much like we have with hacking. It seems crazy to me that the most dangerous skill to practise isn't sparring, but decking. Other crafts / skills could also be given a similar treatment.

3) Slow significantly the rate of healing for wounds and injuries that are not treated.

4) Add in a significantly increased chance of injury for things like, texting while driving (cars or bikes), while on drugs, or drunk.

5) Stat exits give wounds... which is great and they do a decent amount of damage, but they're not treatable wounds. 2 stat exit injuries gave me 2 x untreatable wounds with 50hp each that healed overnight:

Code: Select all

arms           : a superficial bruise (no treatment needed) (50 HP left to heal)
Open to other ideas. I think I've brought some of them up before, probably a few times. I know people can be a bit adverse to being hurt, but most of the time it can really provide a lot of fun hooks for RP, not just with medical staff but people around you.

Rey

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:44 pm

I like the idea of there being more risk, but I'm not too keen on upping the diseases. I don't really want to play more sickness RPs personally. I do like the idea of injuries during sparring. It does seem weird that you can get hurt decking but not sparring.

I think the rate for healing is already pretty high given that it lasts OOC days, meaning it can get in the way of other RP plans. I think upping it further can be restrictive.

I do feel it would be nice to have more conflict in the game that was more inclusive. I feel right now that plot tends to be GL related and I understand that those people have been around longer, but it does mean that new people who come to join are more likely to leave if there isn't an easy way to get involved in plot and conflict. I feel having overall conflicts that aren't tied to corporations but would be inclusive to everyone is needed.

Beatrix

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:49 pm

I don't think that the healing rate is that slow... I took 100 points of damage, and healed from it in less than a day. Another time, I lost 75% of health, it took about 2 days to heal from it..

There's been very, very few people injured in the last 30 days... And people heal fast enough without treatment and need for medical care that... we're kind of obsolete, as medical care professionals anyways.

Beatrix

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:38 pm

I should add that most GLs are usually putting out regular plots through the plot system (help PLOT) for their members to get involved with, so joining a guild, and getting involved in them are probably the best way to start to become a part of the stories being told.

Normally staff also run an overall plot that players can get involved in via the plot system too, but at the moment they're on a break between plots, but I expect it won't be too long before the next staff run plot gets put into play. At the moment things are a bit on the quiet front but it shouldn't be too long before things ramp up again.

As well, remember you as players can at any time get involved in things going on by creating your own plots and investigating things, or pulling in other players. You can stir up conflict and drive story too. I did find when I started it was... a bit hard to convince more established characters to include my PC, and I felt like I really, really had to shove and push my way into things. Even playing a GL I still sometimes feel like I have to do that. But I suspect that's less now to do with being a newbie and more to do with being in the wrong timezone.

Cypher

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

I don't think that has changed much as far as newer player getting pulled into things, Beatrix. Most don't have the same drive to try and push in, so sometimes oldbies need to extend a hand to try and facilitate that I think.

On the topic of Biodyne RP, one thing that has boggled my mind is the lack of injury from sparring. It is one of the singular ways to raise PK able skills, yet.. has absolutely zero damage towards the gaining of it. Getting punched in the face repeatedly even with a few rolls of toilet paper taped around the hands is still going to leave a mark.

Spar participants should absolutely be taking some form of blunt non-lethal damage, and think that should be a good change for all involved and would drive more RP as well.

Dragonfly

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:37 pm

I would think a risk of small injuries/ailments doing various things could both help to provide some more RP for Doctor types but also ... potentially provide a cost/risk benefit of "spamming" skills.

Little burns from crafting/engineering work, bug bites or other things from foraging, risk of sunburn at the beach maybe? Stuff that could inspire RP or inspire trade/interest in preventatives or cures. I'd agree with injuries from sparring (particularly against the NPC combat trainers ... if injuries would more likely with the NPC trainers that might also double up by provide incentive to train/RP with other players as well.)

Dragonfly

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:36 am

3) Slow significantly the rate of healing for wounds and injuries that are not treated.
I'll add to this ... have the "Treated" status disappear between ticks (or major levels maybe?) as a way to encourage follow up visits.

Because sometimes the issue is you'd love to follow up but it not codedly helping with anything might discourage against it.

Warlord
Discord: Warlord

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:39 pm

Thumbs up!

• Information