Plots, Rolls and Injuries

Have a badass idea for the MUD? Post it here!

Moderator: Staff

Beatrix

Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 am

So, having attended the recent meta plot, which I absolutely loved, I do have one suggestion to make off the back of that, which I think could improve how they play out, and I'm curious to see what others think.

At the moment, most characters who have been around a few months, have decently high stats and skills. Quite likely maxed even. This means, that rolls are very unlikely to fail. But the downside of this, is that sometimes it is the fails along the way and the overcoming them that really make a story.

As well, difficulty isn't a thing that should be a universal value, but rather something that can vary, depending on what is trying to be achieved. Trying to chop off a finger with a plasma blade? Probably not going to be too difficult. Trying to use a spoon? Could be trickier!

Also as an ulterior motive, more failures also means more injuries, which means that there's more reason to bring medics on things like this - and gives them things to do during, or give them RP after the fact once everyone returns back to the Sector.

Towards this end, I suggest a minor tweak to the existing roll format:

Code: Select all

roll <self|name> <skill|stat> <difficulty from 1 to 50>
Staff could then say, roll agility 10.

And while normally the roll might be:

Beatrix rolled a 53 against a 60 agility.
Instead it would be:

Beatrix rolled a 63 against a 60 agility.
Effectively giving a +10 to the roll.

Thoughts everyone? Would you like a little more failure in your RP?

Dragonfly

Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Quite likely maxed even. This means, that rolls are very unlikely to fail.
Not every character has the same max stats. There's an RNG factor to what individuals will have as their maxes. And the only way not to fail is to have 100 in stat, which is exceedingly rare. And no one will have that in all stats. So it might be harder for older characters to fail their best stats, but their lowest stats are still vulnerable. Everyone has a dump stat and prays it doesn't come up . :lol:

Even in the scene in question, failures were indeed seen, particularly when staff take an Edge roll into account.

Not that I disagree with the potential option for harder rolls for staff (or players running STs) but the idea that older characters universally can't fail isn't true.

Beatrix

Sun May 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Never said that they were impossible to fail for older PCs, just very unlikely. There were a couple of failures on the plot but not many Just would like to be able to scale the rolls with difficulty. I would love to see more of a challenge, and would love to actually fail a bit more myself. Particularly as it makes sense that some things are just harder to do.

I rolled 20 times with my highest skill, and only failed once. Doing the same with a max stat, yielded not a single fail. Just think that it'd make scenes more fun if we had to overcome obstacles that were just a bit more tricky.

preposterous

Sun May 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Beatrix wrote:
Never said that they were impossible to fail for older PCs, just very unlikely. There were a couple of failures on the plot but not many Just would like to be able to scale the rolls with difficulty. I would love to see more of a challenge, and would love to actually fail a bit more myself. Particularly as it makes sense that some things are just harder to do.

I rolled 20 times with my highest skill, and only failed once. Doing the same with a max stat, yielded not a single fail. Just think that it'd make scenes more fun if we had to overcome obstacles that were just a bit more tricky.
I don't think there's anyone saying you can't just fail for the sake of failling. Rolling was created to aid in roleplay, but it isn't the be-all end-all. If you want to fail something, I don't see why you shouldn't for the sake of roleplay. Just, people not failing when they pass a stat can't really be seen as metagaming, is all. It's one way to help with that situation.

So, in short, I think my response is... "Faaaaail if you want to. Fail around the world."

Curt
Discord: Curt#3168

Sun May 24, 2020 4:25 pm

A strong, strong +1 from me. In fact- I thought this was how rolls worked already.
Making every roll have the same challenge rating makes DMing extremely clunky. Giving plot-drivers the ability to set the difficulty of a roll challenge just makes sense.
To make it a bit less gamey, perhaps rather than making it a numerical challenge, it can be descriptive words: "wimpy, moderate, even, challenging, legendary, impossible"
Something along those lines.

Richard

Sun May 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I will repost and throw this in, since it's kind of related :

[ #20 ] Ideas Board
A note has been posted by: Richard
From room    : 5006
In subject of: Roll expansion difficulty parameter
Date         : Tue Apr 28 03:14:52 2020
Expires      : Sat Jan 21 02:15:14 2023
To           : all staff
in their field, e.g. 65, have only a 30% greater chance of succeeding at an RP
 task than a chargen skill of 35. A frail cripple with Strength 30 can lift the
  same rock a Strength 90 character can move if their dice are lucky, which 
  may not make sense!) Instead, a difficulty number can be specified. If this 
  difficulty number is slightly lower than the character's skill level, it becomes 
  the number to beat. If significantly lower (e.g. 10-20 pts), the check is an
   automatic success. If the difficulty is instead greater than the skill, it 
  becomes the new number to beat. If significantly greater, it's not possible to 
  succeed at the task.

This may be useful for ST purposes, where the target player can't see the difficulty needed.
preposterous wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Beatrix wrote:

I don't think there's anyone saying you can't just fail for the sake of failling. Rolling was created to aid in roleplay, but it isn't the be-all end-all. If you want to fail something, I don't see why you shouldn't for the sake of roleplay. Just, people not failing when they pass a stat can't really be seen as metagaming, is all. It's one way to help with that situation.

So, in short, I think my response is... "Faaaaail if you want to. Fail around the world."
Considering that the rolls in requestion were in a GMed plot with high and potentially dangerous or fatal stakes, I don't think people are going to choose to deliberately flub them. In my opinion, if you want the GM to rule that your char didn't succeed, don't roll at all. If you do roll, then play as the numbers dictate (within reason.)

There is also the case that in these instances, sometimes players do not know what they are rolling for until the outcome is shown, in which case one wouldn't even know what they are succeeding or failing at. For example, in the recent Ramirez plot, people who were standing were told to 'roll agility'; after everyone did, it was revealed that this was because the ship took a rock to the shields that might knock people over.

Kyushu

Sun May 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I believe that's a good idea and much needed.

It's easy to not fail particular rolls with high enough stats, even though (depending on the situation) sometimes you should fail your roles. Our characters are not superhumans, we should fail from time to time.

You usually have various difficult parameters in any tabletop too, so I don't see why we shouldn't have those here.

• Information